Projects funded by Moose Plates!

Revolutionary War Caisson in Plymouth, NH

Revolutionary War Caisson Restored In Plymouth

Using funds provided by a N.H. Division of Historical Resources’ Conservation License Plate Grant, the Town of Plymouth was able to restore a caisson that supports a Revolutionary War-era cannon captured by General John Stark from British troops in 1777 at the Battle of Bennington—a turning point during the Revolutionary War. You can visit them in front of the town hall in downtown Plymouth. (The DHR is part of the N.H. Department of Natural & Cultural Resources.)

Blanding's turtle, a native New England species

Protecting New Hampshire’s Vulnerable Native Species

Blanding’s turtles, a species native to New England, are critically imperiled and face conservation threats due to road mortality, alteration and loss of terrestrial and nesting habitats, and more. But thanks to funding assistance from NH State Conservation Committee Moose Plate Grants, New Hampshire Fish & Game ​is able to do valuable research work to help protect the Blanding’s turtle, along with other species native to the Granite State.

Piscassic Greenway in New Hampshire

Growing the Piscassic Greenway by Thirty-Two Acres

The 445-acre Piscassic Greenway’s four-mile-long trail system in Newfields and Newmarket has long been popular with outdoor enthusiasts of all kinds. A $150,000 Land & Community Heritage Investment Program grant helped the Southeast Land Trust of New Hampshire add 32 acres to the Greenway (after an unprecedented increase in use) to preserve the sweeping views from the trail system and strengthen important water quality and wildlife habitat protection.

Pollinator Habitat Initiative Project

To counter the decline of pollinator habitat, 20 pollinator habitat sites were installed to demonstrate innovative approaches to converting sites, landowner workshops were held, and pollinator habitats on Cheshire County farms were inventoried to better understand the impacts of native pollinators.

Fuller Public Library artwork in Hillsborough

Historic Artwork Restored By Hand Inside The Fuller Public Library

Fuller Public Library in Hillsborough received a N.H. State Council on the Arts’ Conservation License Plate Grant to restore its historic hand-painted ceilings. The ornate hand-painted designs were carefully restored to revive the beauty and elegance of these decorative features, originally commissioned in the late 19th century by the building’s former owner, New Hampshire Governor John B. Smith. (The Arts Council is part of the N.H. Department of Natural & Cultural Resources.)

Pearl Farm photo by Jerry Monkman

Trust For Public Land Helps Protect Historic Pearl Farm

The Trust for Public Land received funding from the NH State Conservation Committee Moose Plate grant and the Land & Community Heritage Investment Program to purchase a conservation easement on over 275 acres in Pearl and Sons Farm in Loudon, NH. The easement will forever prevent subdivision and development, maintaining the land’s role as a working farm.

View All Projects Prev Next

Last Year's Stats

Franklin Opera House, Franklin, NH

The Franklin Opera House was built in 1892-1893 and designed by one of New Hampshire’s foremost architects of the time, William Butterfield. From the date of its dedication it was a venue for balls, dances, lectures, plays, musicals, vaudeville shows, concerts, school productions and graduation ceremonies. During World War II, programs of the Red Cross were offered there.

The opera house received grant funds in 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008, including:

2004 — $10,000, Phase I: Renovation of the balcony to comply with fire and life safety codes and emergency exit stairs.

2005 — $20,000, Phase II: Renovation of the balcony by refinishing the floor, upgrading the electrical system, installing step lights, adding dimming units for the ‘house lights’, doing ceiling repairs, adding new interior paint and executing roof repairs.

2007 — $7815: Purchasing 195 stackable, moveable chairs to provide orchestra seating that was easy to store when not in use. (The Opera House donated their metal chairs to other non profits.)

2008 — $20,000: Restoring the front entrance of Opera House through the purchase and installation of three granite steps, quarried in Concord. The renovation was celebrated on July 16, 2008 with the attendance of Governor Lynch and the Executive Council for their regular meeting.